Somehow "a lick of paint" turned into "demolish a wall and re-plaster". I'm still not entirely sure how that happened, but with a week before our guests' arrival we were pulling off wall sheeting and teaching ourselves (with the help of Google and you tube) how to hang and finish new plaster sheets.
|It begins! skirting boards and cornice removed and the old wall sheeting coming off|
|Nice new plaster sheets hung |
Note the panel installed back to front with the print facing out?
Don't do that - it causes no end of trouble when it comes to painting!
Well we managed it! The room was replastered and back together, fit for guests within the week (if not entirely finished with all the little details) and we learned heaps in the process.
- Moving 3m long sheets of fragile plasterboard from Bunnings to home and then into the house is a logistical nightmare.
- Gyprock definitely does have a right and a wrong side
- It's tricky getting those joins and corners plastered neatly
- The 16 square metres coverage claimed on the tin does not apply to undercoat going on fresh plaster.
- Oil based sealer is a really handy thing to have around when red ink printing starts appearing through your new paint job (see #2 above).
Next jobs on the list for that room - repainting and re-installing the pelmet over the window, new curtains and replacing the old louvre door.