Friday 6 January 2017

2017 - let's try this again (and finish it this time)

There's a pattern here ... I keep starting posts with a comment about how bad a blogger I've been!
I looked back at my first ever post the other day and this quote jumped at me:
I have a tendency to get hyper-motivated at the start of a project and then partway through drop it because its not going quite how I planned, or its taking longer than I imagined it would, or I just get bored (lazy) and couldn't be bothered with finishing it. 
How true that continues to be! It applies to so many of my endeavours, not just to this blog. Although I will add that more recently it's also partially that I've taken on so much that other things take centre stage in my head, pushing stuff to the background. 

Reflecting and moving on

Last year instead of making a New Year's resolution I chose a word to be my theme for the year.  The idea was that choosing a single word would help to give a focus to my decisions and actions for the year, and it could be applied in all areas of my life.

2016's word was "CREATE" and despite a lack of blog posts documenting it I think I stayed reasonably true to that.

Professionally it was a huge and very busy year, including a change of roles in the second half of the year, and I feel like I managed to at least lay the foundations for the creation of a couple of really worthwhile projects. 

But more importantly (for this blog anyway) I had an absolutely massive crafty year. I don't think a single week went by when I didn't spend at least some time being crafty and creative. I became obsessed with discovered paper pieced quilts, learnt how to hand embroider, started designing and testing paper pieced quilt patterns and started drawing in order to create embroidery templates (no idea where the drawing came from - I never ever considered that I might be able to draw!). 

So all that creating during 2016 was fabulous - I've developed professionally, learnt heaps, produced lots, started exploring new things and had a great time; but I return to the original issue - hyper-motivation followed by non-completion.

Although the change of roles at work was a good move for me professionally, I feel a little disappointed that I wasn't able to see the projects I was working on through to completion and all my crafty pursuits throughout the year have resulted in a scarily large list of WiPs (Works in Progress) or UFOs (Un-Finished Objects).

So my word for 2017?


FINISH!


I really want to be able to say at the end of this year that I've worked hard to finish the things that I've started and maybe even made a dent in the WiP list. I'm not saying that I won't be taking on lots of new projects, just that I want to see more of them through to their conclusion.

Lets see how it goes....

Do you have a NewYears resolution or inspiration/theme word for 2017?

K

No comments:

Post a Comment