Wednesday 10 January 2018

Crochet Creations


Needing a portable project to keep myself busy while a passenger on our recent cross country road trip I took the time to acquire a new skill - Crochet!

I had planned to get some work done on a couple of cross stitch and embroidery projects while on the road, but just before we left I made an impulse purchase of some cheap ugly yarn and a set of crochet hooks. I also downloaded a free 'learn to crochet' e-book. It was probably a good idea in the end - it didn't take long to work out that moving car, bumpy roads and sharp needles are not a good combination.

My first crochet creation was the most hideous, mismatched pair of finger-less gloves ever. I almost frogged them but the monster adored them and wore them almost non-stop while we were in cooler climates. I'm really glad that first lot of yarn was cheap acrylic because the gloves needed washing several times after getting covered in dog slobber and hair, mud and grass. The acrylic held up well to to all of that.

My first crochet attempt. Finger-less gloves.

Feeling reasonably confident and inspired by my semi-success with the gloves, I made sure to pick up some slightly nicer (but still reasonably cheap) yarn during one of our stops and started work on a beanie for myself.

The beanie wasn't finished until several days after our visit to the snow, but I got it finished, and it turned out awesome!  It's basic but it's squishy and soft and warm; everything a beanie should be.

Car-selfie taken only seconds after I wove in the last tail of my second ever crocheted item.
Sadly it's too hot to wear my beanie here at home in the tropics so it will probably not be seen again until our next adventure to the cooler southern climates, but I did it... I learned a new skill and made something for me, that turned out better than expected.

Since we've returned home  I've turned my hook to some other bits and pieces including some Christmas decorations and a sampler afghan trying out a few new stitches. So now I have a a couple more works in progress and a whole heap of crochet creations on my to-do list.... crocheted clothes, slippers, hats, more blankets.... the list goes on.  But that's OK. It's another portable craft that I can switch to when I feel like I want to change things up or need a break from other things.

They do say that variety is the spice of life, and as far as my crafty stuff goes my life is feeling pretty flavourful right now :)

Until next time

K





No comments:

Post a Comment